Located to the left of Rio Tinto(Red River) and near the mouth of the river and union with The Odiel river, and 13 kilometres from the capital, Huelva
Palos, fishing village, has had a setback in this activity in recent years, focusing on the capture of seafood, giving way to industry, with important part of the Industrial Pole of the province and a new agriculture that has led to the rebirth of the potential of the municipality. It is an agriculture based on irrigation and cultivation of strawberries, spreading over land so far unused, to the edge of the factories themselves.
Its name comes from the Latin Palus, which means “lake”.
In the Al-Andalus period it was a hamlet which formed part of the jurisdiction of Niebla and its inhabitants made their living from agriculture and livestock.
Between 1239 and 1240 the Christian conquest took place. It was donated by Alfonso XI in 1322 to Alfonso Carro and Berenguela Gomez.
Its participation in the events of the Discovery of America was decisive. By decree of the Catholic Monarchs, recruitment was carried out and the three caravels were readied. They left port on 3 August 1492 and returned here to this very port on 15 March 1493. America was discovered.
A seaboard village, it was the cradle of the Discovery as it was from this port that Columbus set out on his adventure and the Pinzon brothers who accompanied him were born here.
It has various buildings of interest such as the Rabida Monastery, a very important centre of social and cultural relations with Latin America. Also we must refer to the Castle, the Pinzon house, St George’s Parish church and the Fontanilla, an interesting Mudejar fountain protected by a shrine.
Places of Interest
St George’s Church (Iglesia de San Jorge), XV century. With it Mudejar remains. Christopher Columbus went to Mass in this church before beginning his historical voyage in 1492.
Rabida Monastery (Monasterio de la Rábida). Columbus arrived at this monastery after various failed attempts to convince different European kings to finance his expedition. From here, the prior interceded with Queen Isabel and managed to get his proposal accepted.
“Jose Celestino Mutis” Botanical Park.
La Fontanilla. “Mudejar” fountain declared a National Monument.
Martin Alonso Pinzon House-Museum, XVI century. This museum has been renovated in the XVIII century. Here there are documents, cartography reproductions, models of boats, portraits, a library and a collection of documents about the Pinzon brothers and the sailors who accompanied them.
Día de Martín Alonso Pinzón, March 15th
Fiestas de San Jorge, April 23rd. Palos protector procession
Conmemoración del descubrimiento, August 3rd, Christopher Columbus departure festivity
Fiestas patronales de Nuestra Señora de los Milagros, August, pilgrimage on last weeked of August and procession until La Rabida monastery
Conmemoración del descubrimiento de América, October 12th. America Discovery commemoration